Thursday, July 10, 2008

"FLAMING DR. PEPPER SHOTS"

In case you read this religiously (and duh..you should) i'm sorry that there's been a lack of updates and you've been bored at work. I was super busy the past couple week(end)s. We went up to Beantown to see FYS shoot their new video a couple weeks ago (which will be awesome) and been traveling around the globe. I'm kinda like Carmen SanDiego! Posting should resume as normal starting....NOW!

About 2 fridays ago, Kung Pow Danielle and I were talking about 4th of july and how we had no plans. We kinda wanted to do something awesome...the idea of going to Canada to see Jimmy Eat World was thrown out there, but as she said "it's kind of anticlimactic to spend Independence Day in Canada". This is when D brought up the idea of Austin, TX. Interesting. I've never been before. I wasn't allowed to go to SXSW and skipped out on the season of Real World: Austin, but i'm always down to try new things so we booked our trip. Everyone in the office started telling me how much i'd love it bc it's filled with beer. I decided to keep my expectations low so i wouldn't be disappointed.

The night before we left, we went to the jersey fair. I have only experienced the Nassau County Fair and i hate to say it, but the jersey one was pretty amazing...i saw 4 kinds of bangled tigers (and we watched 2 of them bang....totally something to tell the grand kids)....I fed a llama and goats, was dooped in to paying $1 to see the worlds "smallest" horse (which was just a mini horse), got to see a ferris wheel (hearts) and got my handwriting analyzed. it was pret-tee accurate.
A couple hours later (3:30 AM) we woke up and it was off to the airport. We landed in Austin around 11 and picked up our awesome Blue Toyata Highlander that had Maryland plates and headed to the Omni. Here's Danielle on our rooftop pool/hot tub:
After some R&R we went to Stub's for dinner. The cups were like buckets and from now on i expect all my water to be served in such large quantities. After that we headed to Cheer's Shot Bar. Now, let me explain this....once we booked the trip, my mind immediately went to the Tucker Max file in my brain and the subsection where he writes about the Austin Road Trip. I made mental notes of things he did and what i'd have to see...one thing in particular: FLAMING DR. PEPPER SHOTS. Tucker did them at Cheer's and so did I. They are the new love of my life. I will love no man as much as i love these shots. You can read that at my wedding reception. Once we had a couple dranks in us, we met up w/Danielle's friend Jeff who took us to Mugshots. Mugshots has everything i look for in a bar:
  • a photobooth
  • erotic photohunt
  • good selection of beer
  • outdoor seating
  • great music

I was blown away. My heart was falling deeper and deeper in love w/Austin. We went to a slue of other bars that night i think...DeVille(?) gets an honorable mention. So does Mick's 7 foot wing span.

Friday morning we woke up and went to meet up with some of my favorite boys on the entire face of the earth for a lil bit. After working on my tan and dinner at P.F Changs w/the Charlotte Sometimes kids, we met back up with the boys @ the iron cactus and started doing shots. Ashleycat was happy. Then she screamed "FLAMING DR. PEPPER SHOTS". This is what happened next:


I vaguely remember Matt telling me that for the rest of his life he'd be disappointed because he'd try and go to bars and order them, but they wouldn't have them and his life would be over. After 2 rounds of shots, we went back to our hotel, raided the mini bar, tried to spit on people from the balcony and then went to the roof and watched fireworks. They were so so so pretty. If i love anything more than ferris wheels, it's fireworks, and to see the ENTIRE Austin skyline filled with them...ugh, it was beautiful. Once they ended we went back to the bar for more Flaming Dr. Pepper Shots (are you seeing a trend?). A "U-S-A" chant was started, dance wars broke out, & cowboy and balloon hats floated around the bar. Paul & I decided we wanted to go see The Bronx @ Emo's around midnight, so we left the bar for a little bit. I'm not sure if i was just really drunk or not paying attention on the way to the bar, but on the way to Emo's i realized just how crazy the streets are. It's like boardy barn, only better because block after block after block is blocked off and you can do whatever you want, kinda like an awesome levittown block party. Paul & I took a nap in the middle of the street and the police said NOTHING. This is when it clicked. Austin may be my one true love. We got to see The Bronx (who blew me away) and a little bit of Andrew W.K (which i don't really understand. Sorry Alex!).

Caturday morning Danielle & I woke up early to drive to San Antonio for Warped Tour. On the way there we spotted wait for it....wait forrrr ittt....SONIC!!!!! (my love for texas was written in stone). We went twice.
Warped was awesome. I sold merch for a lil bit, roamed around, saw lots and lots of friends i've missed and got to hear a bunch of new songs that sounded great. In the words of Sam Hollander, "it's all big".

best 4th of july ever.
thank you.

2 comments:

danielle said...

there are so many amazing things about this post! My highlights:

-- "I will love no man as much as i love these shots. You can read that at my wedding reception."
-- Noted. I will remember this, and make sure your next boyfriend/lover/whoever knows that he will always and forever be second place in your heart. Maybe it'll make him try harder.

--"Caturday morning Danielle & I woke up early to drive to San Antonio for Warped Tour."
-- Did you actually mean to type CATurday? Are you still drunk Ashley-cat? I think i still am. Or at least severely hungover.

Lets start planning our next adventure stat! <3

woknad said...

2 things:

AWK rules and in 2006 and 2007 I was part of the world record of flaming doctor peppers. The Rev from The Syndicate organizes an event every year to set a new record at that same bar during SxSW. I didn't make it to Austin this March...but they broke the record again.